The Awesome 552 Class

A virtual learning space for practicing English and interacting with everyone in the class.

Monday, October 10, 2005

Unit 11 - All Kinds of Funny Stories

I'll never forget Paula's Urban Legend in the restroom, and Murilo's fantastic Religious story. Guilherme has proved to be an incredible storyteller. Andrey was always suspiciously laughing! How about the spiders urban legend? A funny one! Well, If I hadn't laughed, I would have convinced you with Katrina's Theory of Conspiracy. :=))

I had a great time with you in this unit.

Let's check the main points.

Topics of Class Discussions:

Childhood memories about storytelling
Fables - Androcles
Fairy tales
Urban Legends
What makes a good story (introduction, background, problem, comment, resolution) and a good storyteller
New Year's Eve stories
Things that didn't live up to our expectations
A change of plans
When things worked out much better than you'd expected
Telling lies

Vocabulary:

Compound Adjectives

well-dressed
slow-moving
well-informed
good-looking
quick-thinking
wealthy-looking
record-breaking
stress-induced
well-behaved
soft-spoken
gray-haired
fair-skinned
time-consuming
sad-faced
comfort-loving
gray-gloved
timesaving
tasty-looking
quick-drying
well-mannered
quick-tempered
fun-loving
hardworking
open-minded
sweet-smelling
smooth-skinned

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

live up to my expectations
no-show
glitch
mix-up
fall through
fiasco
pull off
on the verge of
get its act together



Grammar:

The Future Seen from the Past

I was going to the movies, but I received a phone call that got me to change my mind.

I was supposed to go to the movies, but I received a phone call that got me to change my mind.

I was due to go to the doctor, but I postponed it.

I was to go to the doctor when I heard that terrible news...

I was on the verge of doing something stupid when my friend called me.


Well, that's it!!!

Have fun, study for the text on Tuesday! If you have any questions or doubts, contact me.

See you then,

Carla

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home